So, I’ve got another little Rails app to build. I’m going to try and blog the entire process.
The idea is pretty simple:-
- A system to hold articles
- Articles must be searchable
- Articles must have a WYSIWYG interface
Skimming over some of the other details, we see obvious stuff like:-
- Each article must have a unique reference number
- The ability to add articles must be restricted to a bunch of users
Even a few oxymorons like:-
- These ‘site administrators’ should also have the ability to change access permissions of other users of the site
- Users should not have to log into the site individually
- The default level of access for all users other than those named above should be “Read Only”?
If most people don’t need to login, why bother with a permissions interface? Why not just say ‘if a user is logged in, he/she can add new users’, and assume a user can do anything they need?
So, time to crack open emacs and get coding.